by Nathaniel R
I as soon as briefly lived within the breathtakingly lovely city of Haugesund, Norway and made one in every of my finest pals for all times there (hei Thomas!). He now lives there once more after a few years in Los Angeles and if I had any cash in any respect I’d be there proper now to attend the annual Norwegian Movie Competition which takes place there every year. This yr’s competition runs from as we speak, August twentieth, by means of the twenty sixth. One of the vital fascinating issues about this competition is that it mainly kicks off with Norway’s annual Oscar-like ceremony, The Amanda Awards…
Their awards calendar is thus mainly half of 1 yr and half of the present one so their nominees or winners embody two Oscar gamers from least season (Flee and Worst Individual within the World) and at the least one movie we hope will likely be an Oscar participant subsequent season (Every part In every single place All at As soon as nominated in International Movie). The newer Norwegian movies we’re much less aware of however will get acquainted as quickly as we are able to. We nonetheless do not have phrase on what Norway’s Oscar submission will likely be this yr however numerous these movies will not be eligible since most got here out in Norway earlier than the eligibility window.
The nominees and winners (★) and the place you may watch them beneath
All three of those movies can be found right here within the US. You already know the genius Worst Individual within the World (which absolutely would have received the Oscar in a non-Drive My Automotive sweeping sort of yr). The Innocents is a supernatural horror movie about kids with darkish mysterious powers and The Burning Sea is a catastrophe thriller about an oil rig that explodes.
PEOPLE’S CHOICE AMANDA
- Three Needs for Cinderella
- ★ Worst Individual within the World
- The Burning Sea
- Lange Flate Ballær III
- The Journey (treaming on Netflix)
These are extra mainstream movies. The Journey is an motion comedy, presently streaming on Netflix and stars Noomi Rapace and Aksel Hennie as a warring couple.
Sure, three little one actors are acknowledged collectively for The Innocents, a supernatural thriller about little kids revealing darkish and mysterious powers when adults aren’t wanting.
- Ellen Dorrit Petersen, Three Needs for Cinderella
- ★ Sara Khorami, Nothing to Snicker About
- Ingrid Bolsø Berdal, Everbody Hates Johan
Sara Khormani received for Nothing to Snicker About a dramedy a couple of comic and his ex-girlfriend. All people Hates Johan is a comedy although we won’t say we perceive the plot even from synopses or who Bolsø Berdal performs.
Ellen Dorrit Petersen is a good actress (we’re much less aware of the opposite ladies) with a very memorable look. She was the lead within the movie Blind a number of years again and he or she performs one of many key mom roles in The Innocents this yr. She’s nominated on this riff on the Cinderella story within the evil stepmother position.
- Sam Ashraf, The Innocents
- ★ Pål Sverre Hagen, The Center Man
- Thorbjørn Harr, Full Protection
The Center Man is from well-known Norwegian director Bent Hamer (O’Horten, Kitchen Tales) however it takes place within the US and is in English. A few of you’ll acknowledge Pål Sverre Hagen from the Oscar nominated Norwegian hit Kon-Tiki. He is additionally the lead of Everbody Hates Johan which is nominated within the parallel actress class.
Full Protection is a dramedy about a cocktail party the place pals quit their telephones and reveal their secrets and techniques. A few of you’ll acknowledge Thorbjørn Harr from recurring roles on two TV exhibits (Vikings, Youthful)
The 2 boyfriends from Worst Individual confronted off.
- CLUE: The Maltese Riddle
- ★ Three Needs for Cinderella
Eskil Vogt and Joachim Trier have co-written all of Joachim Trier’s movies collectively however Vogt occassionally does his personal motion pictures, too. His debut was Blind, an excellent thriller/drama a couple of blind lady. And provided that his second characteristic is The Innocents we’re guessing that Trier’s supernaturally-tinged Thelma (2017), his most atypical undertaking was the one with the most important Vogt affect!
- ★ The Innocents -Sturla Brandth Grøvlen
- Everbody Hates Johan – Karl Erik Brøndbo
- The Center Man – John Christian Rosenlund
- The Center Man – Amanda Lee Avenue
- ★ Three Needs for Cinderella – Flore Vauville
- All people Hates Johan – Jenny Hilmo Teig
- The Journey – Lois McIntosh and Maria Zahl
- Three Needs for Cinderella – Asta Hafthorsdottir
- ★ All people Hates Johan – Asta Hafthorsdottir and Thomas Foldberg
- ★ Younger and Afraid (Director: Petter Aaberg and Sverre Kvamme)
- Be Right here (Director: Ragnhild Nøst Bergem, Co-director: Erlend E. Mo)
- John: The Final Norwegian Cowboy (Director: Frode Fimland)
Younger and Afraid (which is often known as Nattebarn) is a couple of suicidal man and his pals. Be Right here appears at three completely different folks with dementia. John The Final Norwegian Cowboy is a couple of 92 yr outdated Norwegian-American man who does not need to promote his land in Montana.
- Worst Individual within the World -Esben Syberg
- ★ The Burning Sea – Theodor Flo-Groeneboom at Insurgent Unit, Morten Jacobsen at Storm Studios, Lars Erik Hansen at Gimpville AS, Magnus Olsson at Filmgate and VFX supervisor Arne Kaupang
- The Innocents -Esben Syberg and Ludvig Friberg
- ★ Remark (Director and prod.: Christoffer Lossius)
- The Faculty by the Sea (Director: Solveig Melkeraaen, Prod.: Ingvil Giske)
- Robin and the Planet (Director: Johan Kaos, Prod.: Gary Cranner)